10 BETTER BODY AFFIRMATIONS FOR YOUNG WOMEN
1. Your body is in flux for the rest of your life. Think of your body as fluid instead of static — it’s always going to change. So get comfortable with those changes.
2. No one will love you or not love you because of your body. You are lovable because you’re you, not because your body looks a certain way.
3. The most intensely personal relationship you’ll ever have is with your body. It’s a lifelong relationship that’s well worth investing in and nurturing the same way you would with loved ones.
4. You don’t owe your body to anyone. Not sexually, not aesthetically. Your body is yours. Period.
5. What someone else says about your body says more about them than it does about you. Look past the actual snark to the person who’s saying it, because it’s only a reflection of what they think of themselves. That’s when you’ll see how little power their words have.
6. Your body is not a reflection of your character. It’s a physical home for the complex and wondrous and unique being that is you.
7. Take up as much space as you want. You don’t have to be small, or quiet, or docile, regardless of your physical size.
8. Everything you need to accept your body is already inside you. There’s no book, or diet, or workout routine or external affirmation that you need to feel good about your body right now.
9. Your body is a priority. It’s always trying to tell you things. Taking the time to listen to is of the utmost importance.
10. Wear whatever you want. Your body shape does not dictate your personal style, and fashion rules that say otherwise are wrong. Dress yourself in a way that makes you feel happy and confident and beautiful, because guess what? You are.
Head to your local indie bookstore this Saturday and you just might run into your favorite author.
In September, author Sherman Alexie put out a call to authors to help support independent bookstores by moonlighting as booksellers on Saturday, Nov. 30, a.k.a. Small Business Saturday. And because when Sherman Alexie asks you to do something, you do it, authors nationwide signed up in droves.
Check out this map from IndieBound to find out who’ll be peddling paperbacks at your local shop!
This is such a brilliant idea, and I’m very sorry to miss it tomorrow! I will plan my Thanksgiving better next year!
Many independent bookstores around the U.S. have signed copies of my books (especially TFIOS). But the real reason to go to IRL bookstores is that actual IRL people will give you actual IRL book recommendations, which in my experience at least is the best way to find new books and authors.